:
> silence does not generally grant permission.....

Since never grants permission.

> But the people in that project might be able to convincingly deliver some
> kind of argument that they've had implicit or "understood" permissions
> made at time of submission to use contributions however the project
> collectively agrees to use them.

Absolutely not.

When I contribute to an open source project, I do so under the terms of the
licences in the files I work on _at that time_.  If I completely rewrite or
add new files, I put those files under the standard licence used by the project,
and that code is then licenced in that (possibly different) way.

And the specific licence is important to me.  It is a significant factor in the
choice of which project to work on (which is why I choose to hack on OpenBSD
rather than, say, Linux).

The terms under which I contribute are those licences - there is no other
implied permission.  If anyone wants to change the licence used by code I have
contributed, they need my approval.  And if they want me to be accommodating,
there had better be a public discussion about alternative licences first.

Tom