I've been finding vim with my standard settings really slow on OpenBSD.
It's been bugging me for a while, but it just took about 1.2s to open
and display a 20k patch, which was bad enough to make me dig into it
again.

I've looked at malloc options in the past and noticed that 'j' helps
but this has caught enough bugs in the past that I'd really prefer
not to use it. Looking again today I noticed that increasing the free
page cache size by setting >> helps hugely, taking this down to 0.4s.

Would there be any sense in having a way for a program to request some
different default malloc option, or at least different default cache
size, while still allowing user settings to override it, so this can
work better by default without changing behaviour for other programs?

Or perhaps it should just be considered a bug/problem in vim,

These settings in .vimrc make it quite noticeable

syn
set foldmethod=syntax
set foldlevelstart=1

I normally have more, in particular to fix the horrible the default colour
scheme ;) but minimal is better as a test case .. the file I was opening today:
https://github.com/openbsd/src/commit/f695adb710e886406ee58a1fe647719c07d844d7.patch