Le 01/06/2020 15:46, Matthieu Herrb a écrit :
On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 03:28:52PM +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
Le 01/06/2020 14:55, Matthieu Herrb a écrit :

> > (I have just tried with a test user with nothing configured besides
> > LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8, without which xterm/vim doesn't show proper
> > characters)
>
> I'm using a real US keyboard with AltGr or the Menu Key (depending on
> the actual keyboard) set as Compose and typing full compose sequences
> to get diacritics. ie <Compose> <comma> <c> and so on.

I use a Bépo keyboard but this but

Your experience interests me. I use a Bépo keyboard but I plan to switch to
a QWERTY + compose keyboard like you do. I hope this will give better
compatibility between systems and less software config remapping.

I do not see how to configure this in console.

I'm only using this under X. the OpenBSD console is plain ASCII and
has no support for for UTF8 characters, so no need to enter them.

This explains why I cannot enter accented characters through SSH. I can't edit a plain UTF-8 file remotely then... when the server has no X server running. Doh!

What are the pitfalls?

I don't know. I've a number of things in mind, but I'm not sure
they're relevant. The existing Compose rules allow me to enter all
important UTF-8 characters I need outside of ASCII: French diacritics,
non-breaking spaces, median point, Euro sign, etc.

Oh yes: one issue: I almost never test non default keyboard layouts in
Xenocara because of this (no /etc/kbdtype file on my OpenBSD machines)
:)

Ok, thanks.

--
Stéphane Aulery