On February 19, 2021 8:56:31 PM UTC, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
wrote:
>Canvassing opinions on having . and ! this way around. I'm using . for
>response, ! for no response, which makes more sense to me but it's been
>pointed out that it's the opposite of what cisco does so it might
>confuse
>some people.

Also Junos uses "!" for sucessfull pings and "." for no response.
https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB25251

And if I remember it corectly then Brocade did it the same way as Cisco.

The "-g" flag is used differently in various ping implementations. From man
pages:
* FreeBSD: - g is sweepmi size.
* NetBSD: -g is used to specify a gateway for loose source routing.
* Illumos: same as NetBSD
* Linux: no -g

I like the feature and think -g is fine. I would prefer if our ping would use
"!" in the same way as Cisco. That is probably als consistent with -f where a
"." also stands for a echo request.

Remi