An OpenBSD machine only has one OpenBSD install.

As soon as we leave that model, and allow other setup models, perhaps you
think there will be two or three potential configurations that people setup.

I don't think so, I think it will keep being extended by people who do
more and more scewed up bizzare configurations, all of which (obviously, to
you) will need to be supported, and everything gets more complicated.

I think we should say "STOP". Now.  And not start down that roadmap.

How many Windows configurations can I put onto a PC?
Can I put two Andriod configurations onto my phone?

You built something for a testlab.  Your conclusion is that it should
work for everyone.  I simply cannot come to the same conclusion,
because it requires complexity, but instead I think we should embrace
simplicity even if it limits choice.