Mark Kettenis <mark.kette...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > From: "Theo de Raadt" <dera...@openbsd.org>
> > Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 10:02:40 -0700
> >
> > An OpenBSD machine only has one OpenBSD install.
>
> I have to disagree here.  Not everyone has a pile of test machines
> lying around.

Are you going to work on the install script?

And then, after that, on the feature requests for sysupgrade?

> Well, that is the real question: will this increase complexity?

It will increase complexity.

> We
> currently have code that makes what I'd describe as an "educated
> guess" at what is the OpenBSD root disk of a machine.  If we can
> replace that with something that finds the disk based on its DUID,
> that would make things more robust and might even decrease complexity
> in the installer.

I don't believe either of you.

I believe that is_rootdisk() will be replaced with 30 lines of kernel
code, 10 lines in distrib/special/sysctl/sysctl.c, and 5 lines of
shell script ..

AND AFTER THAT IS DONE, a bunch of extensions will be proposed for
various other system install / update features, which will then increase
complexity.

And I claim that will happen because this is not proposing 1 new sysctl,
it is proposing 2 of them, without explaining why there needs to be 2.
I think the explanation for that is "undisclosed goals".