Please see the following for the suggested solutions

https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/issues/864
Can't Install Latest Head With Brew

https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/issues/830
3.05 can't be be built as Standalone Self-contained Tesseract-OCR for Mac

Regarding tessdata_prefix

you can try the following
either
EXPORT the location
or
give --tessdata-dir as part of command

eg.

 export TESSDATA_PREFIX=/home/shree/tesseract-ocr

tesseract --tessdata-dir=/home/shree/tesseract-ocr testing/phototest.jpg
testing/phototest-jpg

your /path/to/repos/tesseract/
should reflect where you have your tessdata files.

ShreeDevi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAG2NduXHYZbxzHnd9_SnRGg%3DMUvLkBGaQjMUCGKFO56sU-yYBQ%40mail.gmail.com.