Hi all,

The question in my mind now is whether leptonica and libleptonica-dev are
the same thing as leptonica doesn't provide an executable. How can I check
I have installed them/it successfully?

Here is how this question came into my mind:

I'm following these links to install tesseract on Ubuntu 16.04:
https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki/Compiling
https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki/Compiling-–-GitInstallation

For the leptonica part, I followed this link and installed leptonica 1.76.0:
http://www.leptonica.org/source/README.html

When I move on to the tesseract part, `./configure
--prefix=$HOME/miniconda3/envs/cheetoh` (I'm using conda) complained:

checking for LEPTONICA... no

configure: error: Leptonica 1.74 or higher is required. Try to install
libleptonica-dev package.

Also tried `LIBLEPT_HEADERSDIR=$HOME/miniconda3/envs/cheetoh/include
./configure --prefix=$HOME/miniconda3/envs/cheetoh` resulting the same
error message.

I don't know whether I have installed leptonica successfully. How can I
check?

What I can think of:

$ ls ~/miniconda3/envs/cheetoh/lib

liblept.a  *liblept.la*  *liblept.so*  *liblept.so.5*  *liblept.so.5.0.3*
*pkgconfig*

$ ls ~/miniconda3/envs/cheetoh/include/leptonica/

allheaders.h   bmfdata.h     environ.h  list.h    readbarcode.h  watershed.h

alltypes.h     bmf.h         gplot.h    morph.h   recog.h

arrayaccess.h  bmp.h         heap.h     pix.h     regutils.h

array.h        ccbord.h      imageio.h  ptra.h    stack.h

bbuffer.h      dewarp.h      jbclass.h  queue.h   stringcode.h

bilateral.h    endianness.h  leptwin.h  rbtree.h  sudoku.h

Cheers,
Ning

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/669e6c0d-788c-4ade-9999-195006a1c138%40googlegroups.com.