Hi Friedrich, *,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier
<damokles4-lis...@bits-fritz.de> wrote:
> e-letter schrieb:
>> On 12/06/2011, Friedrich Strohmaier <damokles4-lis...@bits-fritz.de>
> wrote:
>
>> This does not occur with gmail; all messages are _not_ received as
>> attachments but as a single message
>
> So *GMAIL IS BUGGY*.

No, the description is wrong of course the messages are /received/ as
attachments, they are received as everybody else does. There are no
special messages crafted for gmail users, the original source is the
same for all.
But gmail /*displays*/ them as a single message. Whether you consider
this as a bug or feature is up to you :-)

> You want us to serve solving Your problem but don't want to serve us
> with information needed for that, considering our preferences - thing
> You claim strongly for Yourself?

I'm a gmail user as well, And I cannot reproduce the problem. So there
is no point in requesting the original mail anymore. When I reply to a
digest mail, the whole digest mail is quoted, all is included. Nothing
is missing as e-letter repots. I have my preferences set to
plain-text, not rich-text. That is the only default setting that I can
think of that would affect the reply/text-entry box.

> [...]
>>> To second Christian: As other mailers are capable to handle "our"
>>> digests as intended, it's most likely an issue of Your
>>> configuration <-> preferences combination. As You are the single one
>>> complaining, maybe the previously mentioned method ordering single
>>> mails by number might be a workaround.
>
>> Just done that with this message.
>
> confirmed: Thread is kept well.

And this is the only way of not breaking the thread with gmail. That's
the other reason why it is pointless to try to "fix" something here
that is not broken on our end.

>> "To reply to individual messages within a digest-mode message, use the
>> following syntax of the e-mail recipient address:
>
> No good idea, because posting a solution for a problem noone faces
> generates confusion at best.

Yes, and as written: I cannot see any reason to subscribe to a digest
version when using gmail. I am subscribed to two digests - one is
gnome-announce that I've been subscribed to before using gmail, and
then never bothered to change my subscription, but that doesn't matter
as this is a list where I only receive stuff, never post myself, and
the other one is the test-list that I subscribed to in order to check
this problem-report.

Using gmail for mailinglists were you reply to is anti-social as
written before, as you don't have a chance of keeping the thread. You
will always break the thread on reply, messing the lists up for
everyone, those who read it later in one of the archives, anyone who
uses a threaded reader (and that also includes gmail, where "threaded"
is more like "collected by summary).

ciao
Christian

PS: I very much dislike the change in focus/scrolling behaviour gmail
introduced in the last weeks (index view jumps to where you scrolled
to while reading, when you scroll down to read a message and get back
to the index, you are at the bottom/scrolled down view of the index,
previously it restored the view of the index independend where you
were when reading.
I mention this as a prove that I'm really using gmail to read my mail,
and I'm sure e-letter knows what I'm talking about here)