On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM, DJ Delorie <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

>> U.S. rural areas? :-D
>
> I'm pretty rural, and even I have good internet.  Maybe we need to
> redefine "rural" to be independent of physicality :-)

Yes it was sort of a ding on the state of affairs in the U.S. rather
than rural areas. U.S. bandwidth increases aren't keeping up with the
rest of the world, even including urban areas let alone excluding them
from the metric. And I'm in a rural area with ~18Mbps usually but it
varies below that sometimes by quite a bit, as low as 2Mbps.

So if the context is 2Mbps or less, I'd think people would get
frustrated fairly quickly with the ~ 1GiB+ downloads Gnome Software
does in the background on first boot, with no UI for disabling it.
Those without internet wouldn't have this problem of course. But they
get hit with a higher percent of unfixed bugs, even known bugs, that
just weren't bad enough to be blockers.

Another idea might be merging the optical media use case with another
one that already exists and has testers who might be in a position to
maintain working optical boot: Live respins.
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/  This group is
making up to date Lives, so there's far less stale stuff with more bug
fixes than the official media.

--
Chris Murphy