On 18-Dec-01 David Lloyd wrote:
> % blah blah
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

That will only choose the newer T1 encoded ec fonts -- which are still
bitmapped fonts generated from *.mf files.

as far as I know

\usepackage{ae}
will choose the postscript version for most fonts (not math I think)

Also explicitly requesting different postscript fonts like
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{helv[et]}

will switch part of the fonts to real postscript. But I never saw this as a
big problem with on screen previewing via xdvi/gs/gv. It *is* annoying with
pdf in acrobat reader.

> It's possible that my *stupid buggy X 4.0.3* is playing up...

I don't think so. gv/gs does it's own antialiasing independent of XFree86.

K.-H.