Please forgive me if this is not the place to ask this question ... I'm
new to TeX.

I have a LaTeX 'hack' for reformatting section titles to place them in
the left margin of the page. I am told, however, that the redefinition
of primitives is deprecated

--------- snip ---------------
\makeatletter
\def\@seccntformat#1{\protect\makebox[0pt][r]{\csname
the#1\endcsname\quad}}
\makeatother
---------------------------------

I have been defeated in my attempts to find an alternative means of
doing this - even after hours spent with Kopka and Daly's excellent
"Guide to LaTeX" which appears to use some such trick itself. There is
no reference in that book to the keyword '\csname' , for example, much
less to the function \makeatletter.

The 'hack' seems to work well: so I don't really need to abandon it. But
I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a more intelligent way to
do this.

PS: I notice that Thomas Esser participates in this list. If you read
this, Thomas, thank you very much for TeTeX. As I learn more about LaTeX
I realize that TeTeX is a wonderful piece of work and I'm very grateful
to you for it (and to Gerben Wierda  for his Mac OS X version).

Peter Gallagher
Inquit Pty Ltd
[t] +61 3 9654 7670
[f] +61 3 9654 7970
www.inquit.com

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is
confidential and privileged. If you receive this message in error please
notify the originator and delete the message. This email is subject to
copyright. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the
material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden without the written
consent of the copyright owner.