On Tue, 21 May 2002, Gregory D. Collins wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm having trouble with dvips and type 1 fonts.  I installed Adobe
> Garamond into my teTeX distribution, but dvips is not spitting out
> correct postscript files; the characters in the generated output are
> substituted by Courier.

Did you install .pf[a|b] files, or just the tfm's?  Are you viewing the
file with showps or gs, or sending it to a printer?  Is it a PostScript
printer or are you rendering the file using ghostscript?

> The strange thing is that both xdvi and pdflatex generate correct
> output. Also, examination of the generated ps file shows that the font
> has indeed been put into the output. Sending the .ps file to the printer
> also shows the Courier substitution, so it's not a ghostview rendering
> problem.

Is the font embedded in the PS file or are there just references to
the font?  Dvips lists the font files it uses on the terminal.  Type 1
fonts can be installed as "printer-resident" or downloaded with the
PS file.  If your dvips configuration assumes that the font is
resident when it should be downloaded you will get Courier.

> I've upgraded Ghostview to the lates GNU version, and upgraded teTeX to
> the latest snapshot (20020402), to no avail. Any suggestions?

Divide and conquer.  What happens if you use A-Garamond in a PS file
created with something other than TeX?  Ghostscript has some sample
files to print a font table that you can edit (prfont.ps?) to
see if ghostscript can find the font.  There are too many ways to
misconfigure dvips so it reads the wrong configuration files and
it is easy to make a mistake in the configuration files.  The
debugging option can be used to see exactly which files are being
used.

--
George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Halifax, Nova Scotia