On Tue, 21 May 2002, Gregory D. Collins wrote:

> * George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [020521 21:14]:
> > On Tue, 21 May 2002, Gregory D. Collins wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I'm having trouble with dvips and type 1 fonts.  I installed Adobe
> > > Garamond into my teTeX distribution, but dvips is not spitting out
> > > correct postscript files; the characters in the generated output are
> > > substituted by Courier.
> >
> > Did you install .pf[a|b] files, or just the tfm's?  Are you viewing the
> > file with showps or gs, or sending it to a printer?  Is it a PostScript
> > printer or are you rendering the file using ghostscript?
>
> I have installed .pfb files, along with all the files TeX needs to use
> the font. (I used fontinst.sty to generate .fd, .vf, etc. files, and
> afm2tfm to generate .tfm files.) The printer which I have tried to test
> this on is a Postscript printer, and ghostscript (both gv and gs) fails
> on it too.

So the PS file is bad.  I would make sure that the fonts are OK by
making a file independent of ghostscript, and try changing the
remapping (G) and subsetting (j) flags to dvips.

> > > The strange thing is that both xdvi and pdflatex generate correct
> > > output. Also, examination of the generated ps file shows that the font
> > > has indeed been put into the output. Sending the .ps file to the printer
> > > also shows the Courier substitution, so it's not a ghostview rendering
> > > problem.
> >
> > Is the font embedded in the PS file or are there just references to
> > the font?  Dvips lists the font files it uses on the terminal.  Type 1
> > fonts can be installed as "printer-resident" or downloaded with the
> > PS file.  If your dvips configuration assumes that the font is
> > resident when it should be downloaded you will get Courier.
>
> The font is embedded in the file.  When I dvips the .dvi file, dvips
> lists the font files on the command line. For instance:
>
>   phd5.cs.yale.edu [5]> dvips -o test.ps test.dvi
>   This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software
>   (www.radicaleye.com)
>   ' TeX output 2002.05.21:1403' -> test.ps
>   <texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>. <padr8a.pfb><padri8a.pfb><cmex10.pfb>
>   <cmr10.pfb>[1]

Hmm.  My texlive smapshot has:

This is dvips(k) 5.86g Copyright 2001 Radical Eye Software [...]
Maybe an older dvips got into your path.

> Here "padr8a.pfb" and "padri8a.pfb" are obviously the Adobe Garamond
> font files.
>
> > > I've upgraded Ghostview to the lates GNU version, and upgraded teTeX to
> > > the latest snapshot (20020402), to no avail. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Divide and conquer.  What happens if you use A-Garamond in a PS file
> > created with something other than TeX?  Ghostscript has some sample
> > files to print a font table that you can edit (prfont.ps?) to
> > see if ghostscript can find the font.  There are too many ways to
>
> I have not really tried this, but since the font (should be?) is
> embedded in the .ps file, I would assume that Ghostscript would not need
> a local copy.  Again, the funny part is that pdflatex (using the same
> pda.map file, which I included in the "updmap" script) finds the font
> and embeds it in the .pdf files perfectly well. Indeed, when I print the
> PDF file, the document goes to the printer and looks great, but I would
> rather not use the Acrobat reader every time I want to print one of
> these files.

This really points at a problem with dvips -- either an old (buggy)
version that got onto your path or perhaps a compiler bug affecting
your installation.

I tend to avoid .dvi files.  Dvips is a bit fragile (it is so easy to mess
up the configuration) and it does not produce resolution independent PS
files.  Acroread has coomand-line parameters to print, and there is
ps2pdf (ghostscript) and pdftops (xpdf).

> Any light anyone can shed on this would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> G.

I have AGaramond, but just haven't gotten around to configuring it
on my system (it is used here for a report series).  I'll try to
get to it "real soon now" and let you know what happens.

--
George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Halifax, Nova Scotia