    > Your message is however interesting: do you mean that pdftex.map
    > should contain for future pdftex, say:
    > ptmr8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
    > (internal PS /FontName omitted)?

No, this is needed by the current pdfTeX.  A future version could
either ignore the /FontName entry (and does not replace the font in
included files) or, which would be better, it looks for SlantFont and
ExtendFont in the map file and substitutes the appropriate font.

Maybe at the moment it is best to leave the /FontName in the map file
for fonts that are not transformed (i.e. no SlantFont or ExtendFont).
Then fonts in included files can be substituted.  This might save a
lot of space.

    > As for now only transformed constructs can work, e.g.: ptmbo8r
    > ".167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
    > <utmb8a.pfb but they need explicite information which font
    > program is to be transformed (utmb8a.pfb), so cannot be applied
    > to the builtin fonts. Am I wrong?

To transform a font, it's /FontMatrix must be changed, thus, it must be
embedded.  Builtin fonts are inaccessable when creating a pdf file.

    > The whole mess about fonts, maps, etc. is still waiting for a
    > good explanation/road map. As I've observed, the users always
    > cannot understand it (not counting that mailing-list members ;-)

The dvips and pdftex manuals provide a lot of information, especially
about map files.  You find more information about fonts in the LaTeX
Graphics Companion and there are a lot of Adobe Tech Notes on the
Adobe server.  But I agree, it's a mess.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                     Phone: +49-511-27060390
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]