On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Stanislav Kneifl wrote:

> Certainly this would be possible. However, I did not design these slurs
> for such a crowded scores. As a workaround, you may first try to shift
> the tie beginning/ending horizontally, using
>
> \iTieu<idx><pitch>{offset}            (default is 2.6 \internotes)
> and
> \tTie<idx>{offset}                    (default is 0.3 \internotes)
>
> You may also need to raise the ties (globally) a bit to avoid conflict
> with noteheads:
>

> \def\pstieraise{1.3}          - this is default, in internotes

Dear Stanislav:

Thank you for your advice.
It is relatively easy to change the global values of \pstieraise,
\psitieskip and \psttieskip. It can remedy of course the problem of
too short ties. But when doing so, I lose the optimal values for other
ties. I think the values you chose are optimized. I would have to adjust
only those that come out too short. However, like most
typesetters I make use of the preprocessor pmx. The TeX-codes pmx
produces do not use the \iTieu `primitives' you devised. It rather converts
with the pmx-macros \tieforisu(d) \tieforts slurs into ties. I can redefine
those, but then again I make a global change that is not desirable.

As I said the simplest work-around is to convert ties which are too
short into slurs; this is what I did. It works but one has to print out the
score, scan for too short ties (some are smaller than dots) and correct those.
By the way, the score is not particularly crowded. It is the score of the
organ version of Contrapunctus 6 of the Kunst der Fuge (kfomvi.pmx).
There often two notes in one of the same beam are also tied. Necessarily
they are close neighbours. However, the whole Kunst der Fuge is full of ties
of all kinds and lengths.

Christof