Dirk wrote:

> Thus, t is indeed a poor brother of s, its only virtue being that
> in one very
> special case its use saves one some manual adjustment.
>
> I suspect the original reason for the "t" slur was only because, before
> labelled slurs, one needed two different slur symbols in the
> slur-over-a-tie
> situation.
>
> Given that the use of labelled slurs now allows enormous
> flexibility, it seems
> that the t slur is retained in PMX for the sake of backward compatibility
> only.  New scores need not use it at all.  Am I wrong in saying this?

No, you are not wrong. As you noted , the manual states

"For font-based slurs, the unique aspect of t slurs
is that if one starts or ends on the same note as an s slur, the former will
be moved away from the notehead to avoid a collision. This only works if
neither slur has an ID code. This feature is only retained for backward
compatibility."

I suppose I should fine-tune this wording to make it clear that it is
font-based t-slurs in their entirety--and not just one particular feature of
them--that are retained for backward compatibility.

--Din Simons