Luigi Cataldi wrote

> As far I
> know there are no other works of this kind. But I think that it's
> possible to find two figured bass line in works for double choir, like
> the "Dixit Dominus" RV594 by Vivaldi (if I remember well).

and Diane Blaurock wrote

>Actually, I ran into a concerto grosso not long back where putting the
figured bass line somewhere other than the bottom would have been useful.
I'm not positive anymore, but I think it was Muffat. At any rate, the
figured bass line was up in the concertino, rather than on the bottom line
with the ripieno group, where PMX would normally look for it. That line was
the regular basso. I should probably add, though, that this was a "modern"
edition and not a facsimile or original source.<

Just to clarify things for those who aren't familiar with Pasquini's figured
bass pieces, the thing that really distinguishes them is that there is
nothing else there except one or two figured bass lines. They all come from
one 1703 manuscript which has been reproduced in facsimile as Volume 8 of
the series "17th Century Keyboard Music" by Garland with an introduction by
Alexander Silbiger. As a result of this thread I pulled my copy off the
shelf and re-read the introduction. The MS has 344 pages of which fully 277
are devoted to the figured-bass pieces. Scholars have argued ad nauseum
about their intent: teaching pieces? accompaniments to lost solo lines? or
stand-alone musical works? Silbiger goes with door #3.

As to whether there are other works like this, Silbiger says "Collections of
such pieces are by no means rare; most date from the late 17th and early
18th centuries, and all share certain common features." Then he gives a
reference to "Vol. 13 of this set" without saying who the other composer was
or what the common features are.

--Don Simons