Don Simons skryf:

> The question before me is whether to have PMX once and for all issue
> \setmaxinstruments{24}, thereby requiring all new PMX-generated TeX files to
> be processed with eTeX.

Under TeTeX and maybe MikTeX (I wouldn't know) that may have been
true, although I think there used to be a file texmf.cfg that you
could edit to make the sizes bigger.

Under TeXLive tex, etex, pdftex and pdfetex are all the same program.
I don't think one easily runs into size limits.  The only difference
between tex and etex is that the latter enables certain extensions.

But can't the pmxa part of pmxab count how many instruments are
actually needed, and the pmxb part issue \setmaxinstruments with
that precise number?

Dirk