Well, if eTeX isn't detected (deTeXted?) and you \setmaxinstruments >12, I
think you'll get a TeX error anyhow. But I agree it would be more user
friendly to print out a cleaner, more explicit message. So I guess PMX
should do this:

write(11,'(a19,i2,a2))'\setmaxinstruments{',nv,'}%'
if (nv .gt. 12) write(11,'(a)')'\ifx\undefined\eTeXversion [something] \fi'

where [something] prints out a message like say 'You must use eTeX if you
have more than 12 instrumnets', and then stops the TeX'ing. Or maybe
[something] should even pause the TeX'ing in case this is being run from
within a batch file. Could one of the TeXperts tell me what [something] is?

PMX should probably also write '\input musixmad' if nv<13

--Don