IMO used to sell AccuPower batteries and chargers that I thought
were excellent.  I have a bunch of NiMH AA 2400 mAh that I'm still
using, 7 years later.

They're an Austrian company http://www.accupower.at/index_en.php.
They presently offer AA cells at 2600 and 2900 mAh, and AAA cells
at 1000 and 1200 mAh.

However, their US subsidiary, http://www.accupower-usa.com/, now
offers AccuEvolution AA cells at only 2200 mAh, but that's because
they are the newer "Low Self-Discharge" batteries with greater power
retention, similar to the Sanyo Eneloops.  These can be purchased
online for $9.95 for a four-pack, which is very competitive.  They're
also available at Real Goods and Overstock.com.

Their AccuManager 20 charger, though pricey ($55), is a full-
maintenance unit that uses pulse-charging and monitoring of each
individual battery (and can charge mixed sizes simultaneously,
keeping them on float indefinitely).

I highly recommend 'em.

Alex