I've breathed pure nitrogen, oxygen, nitrous oxide... and NOTHING had
the same effect as near straight carbon dioxide.  (I used to
experiment on myself until they told me it might end up like this!)

You can't inhale pure CO2 - somehow your lungs reflexively signal your
diaphragm to expel. With nitrogen or nitrous oxide, you'd eventually
pass out while breathing and you'd die for lack of oxygen.

With CO2, I believe you'd wretch and choke to death if you were forced
to breathe high concentrations.  It isn't poison, Wikipedia bears that out :-)
but poisonous gas might be a more pleasant 'way to go'.

-WaV