The problem with carbon dioxide is not that it is toxic per se, but that in high enough concentration in the atmosphere it prevents the lungs from off-gassing CO2 from your body to make room for more oxygen. You essentially suffocate because you run out of oxygen, not because the carbon dioxide kills you directly. Of course in the end, what difference does it make? ;-)

Mark