From: mark.al...@l-3com.com [mailto:mark.al...@l-3com.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 11:37 AM
To: Texascavers Mailing List
Cc: Jay Jorden; John Brooks; Darla Bishop; Bisset, Rob
Subject: [Texascavers] The TSA Needs Your Thoughts: TSA Land Fund Dispensation

>From the Minutes of the Spring TSA Business Meeting, April 6th, 2008
Convened at the TSA Spring Convention, April 5th thru the 7th, in
Kerrville, TX at the Kerrville-Schreiner Park. Submitted by Mark Alman,
TSA Secretary.

        "The TSA Constitution was reviewed concerning dispersing these
funds and was agreed that all can be dispersed, minus the original $500
seed money given by the NSS at the 1994 Convention.
        Original intention was to use the funds in order to find a
permanent location for TCR, but with soaring land prices, this has never
materialized.
        Point made by Jerry Atkinson and Mark Alman to possibly split
the proceeds between the TCMA and the TCC.
        Request that this motion be printed on CaveTex and in the next
TEXAS CAVER to solicit inputs."

        As discussed above, the TSA and I would like to solicit your
thoughts, recommendations, and ideas as to the future of the TSA Land
Fund and whether the funds should be dispensed and, if so, to what
worthy cave association (s) or project (s).
        I would like to solicit your inputs here and for possible
inclusion in the next issue of The TEXAS CAVER.
       The motion will be brought up at the next TSA Business Meeting at
TCR, October 17th thru the 19th, 2008.

Let's please keep all discussions positive in tone and constructive in
nature.

        What follows is Jay Jorden's article concerning the history of
the Land Fund and the motion made by the TSA Endowment Fund's trustees.

The TSA and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks,

Mark Alman-TSA Secretary and Editor, The TEXAS CAVER

TSA Land Fund: A Legacy or a New Direction?
By Jay Jorden

The future of the TSA Land Fund is now in the hands of Texas cavers.
        However, it turns out that cavers have been involved with the
fund all along.
        At the May 2008 TSA Board of Governors' meeting, the Endowment
Fund's trustees moved to distribute all its assets - under terms of the
agreement that created it 12 years ago - for a cave conservation-related
purpose: to help pay off the note on the Punkin-Deep Cave Preserve
property.
        Land fund trustees voted unanimously (with one abstention - see
separate details with this article) to recommend the motion, which will
be acted upon at the fall TSA Board of Governors (BOG). Since the fund's
beginnings from a $500 honorarium by the NSS for the 1994 convention in
Brackettville, it has grown to a balance of more than $8,100.
        Despite that progress, the fund has not grown nearly enough by
some estimates. Its core objective upon creation was stated by the land
fund agreement: "To obtain a permanent Texas Cavers Reunion and TSA
meeting site and further the goals of cave conservation."
        Although the fund could serve as a down payment for a tract of
land, it would not - at today's prices - put a dent in properties
similar to those used by the Texas Speleological Association (TSA) and
TCR in the past: Little Arkansas, Flat Creek Ranch, etc.
        However, the Texas Cave Management Association (TCMA) has
purchased a large tract of land with two excellent caves. The
conservation organization is slowly paying off the note on the property,
but the interest rate is due to rise next year.
        The TCMA actually had held the $500 seed money in trust in late
1994 after the former NSS Convention Committee wound up its affairs and
dissolved. The money was held in trust until the TSA could decide what
to do with it. Debate stretched into multiple meetings.
        The land fund was created on Feb. 24, 1996, with a foundation
agreement as the TCMA passed the honorarium to TSA. The language was
drafted by a Dallas attorney, based upon a standard foundation endowment
agreement. The document created what was called the Texas Speleological
Association Endowment Fund.
        The fund's purpose was modeled on actions of the trustees and
members of The Robertson Association (TRA) in West Virginia when they
purchased 24 acres along the rock-lined Tygart River for the Old Timers'
Reunion - considered among the world's largest cavers' gatherings.
        Because TRA had a permanent site, they no longer had to search
for venues to hold the annual Labor Day weekend event, which was
expanding each year. Sites were getting harder to find and more
expensive. By purchasing property, they could leverage their resources.
They constructed a large pavilion, permanent showers, saunas and other
improvements. Check out http://www.otr.org/ to see OTR's progress.
        At each of the previous venues for their West Virginia OTR,
crowds had swelled to overflowing. Each year since the beginning on
Labor Day weekend of 1950, OTR had gotten bigger and better, so much so
that word got around and the locals started showing up for a big party!
(The cavers' association, TRA, was formed in part to manage the crowds
and limit them to cavers as much as possible.)
        Even with a membership-only reunion, the cavers outgrew each of
the rented sites in succession: McCoy's Mill near Franklin, W.Va., and
Trout Cave, from the late 1960's and early 1970's; and the Alpine Shores
Campground near Elkins, W.Va., from the late 1970's.
        The Mill could handle only 300 or so people and there was no
controlled access to the site. Cavers packed into the old millhouse,
where the wooden floor would sway during dances. The saunas out back
were primitive, with heated rocks. The rule was that everyone got in and
out at the same time to conserve the hot air. Cavers dammed up a cold
stream for baths. Alpine Shores, although beautiful with a river beside
it, had a camping limit of around 1,000 - but more than 1,400 people
were showing up.
        Enter the idea to buy a site. Since 1986, the Eastern OTR has
been held on caver-owned property, with permanent pavilions, showers,
saunas, a series of hot tubs and other improvements.
        For years, the Texas cavers' reunion - or TOTR, as it was then
called - bounced around from location to location, finally settling at a
couple of ranches southwest of Austin until those properties were sold
or became too expensive to rent. Some years, plans for the October
reunion had nearly fallen through at the last minute because of site
problems. Quality is often an issue. Despite best efforts, some venues
have been better than others.
        Such issues were in play when Texas cavers rallied to host the
third NSS convention in the state, in 1994. As is the custom for
convention committees, the NSS presented an honorarium upon completion
of the volunteer duties. (That honorarium is now several thousand
dollars.) After a week in the summer heat with more than 1,000 cavers
and attendance from a dozen or more countries, hard-working members of
the Convention Committee wanted to make that money go as far as it
could. What better way than to invest it for the future? Perhaps
someday, they reasoned, cavers' reunion would find some suitable
property in Central Texas and a down payment would already be "in the
bank."
        But cavers had to act fast, because the 1994 NSS Convention
Committee was wrapping up its own accounts and scheduled to dissolve
after the Brackettville festivities were complete. Another challenge was
that the organizers of TCR argued that the TSA, with its elected
leadership and more formal structure, was better equipped to deal with
long-term investments. Also, the TSA had sought and apparently acquired
tax-exempt status as a nonprofit organization and that would arguably
help attract donations to the fund.
        What developed, in consultation with attorneys, was that the
Texas Cave Management Association as a 501(c)3 nonprofit would hold the
honorarium in trust until the paperwork could be completed for a
foundation. The focus became a permanent venue for TCR, with the side
benefit that TSA meetings would also be possible at such a site. The
idea was that if Texas cavers could find a TCR/TSA meeting site that
also contained a cave and/or was located in a promising karst area, so
much the better!
        As a 1994 convention co-chair, I had been involved in setting up
the land fund. We also needed another trustee and it was suggested that
Joann DeLuna of San Antonio was a great candidate because she owned
property, including a cave, and had expertise in the area.
        That same year, an account was opened in the TSA's name in a
stable money market fund at Fidelity Investments. The endowment fund
address was established as the TSA permanent address in Austin. The TSA
officers that year signed the investment application. And they were
already making plans on how to grow the investment through contributions
of $1 a head at all TSA functions and at TCR. From the fund's inception,
the TSA treasurer had taken responsibility to deposit additional funds
into the land fund account and report on the balance to the BOG. That's
an operational reality simply because it hasn't been convenient for the
account statements to be copied in Austin and mailed out to the
trustees.
        Gill Ediger with TCR at that time had pledged several hundred
dollars or more from the reunion, including some funds from the previous
year, to go into the account.
        Appeals were also made in the Texas Caver and elsewhere for
separate cavers' contributions. It was even suggested that cavers
remember the land fund in their estate planning! Even though this never
happened, Texas cavers deserve a pat on the back for doing such a great
job of fund-raising.
        In the first year of the new millennium, we revisited much of
the above history in the TSA Board of Governors when the Constitution
and By-Laws were reviewed and revised. The TSA officers wanted to
reference the land fund within the documents. Weeks and months passed
while language was debated and then submitted for a vote. The important
point to note here is that the Foundation Agreement was unaffected by
that action, which mostly just formalized what has been in effect for
almost a decade and adding the TSA chair as a trustee.
        In the years since Brackettville, it has become evident that our
Convention Committee was a cheap date: The NSS has lately realized what
a labor of love it is to reinvent the wheel each year around the country
and come up with a suitable site for a weeklong meeting that has
conference facilities, caves in the vicinity, airports in the area and
both camping and hotels (Cavers aren't too picky, it seems.)
        As of 2001, the Society's board proceedings state, "A $3,000.00
committee allowance will be paid to the Convention Committee to
recognize their efforts and unreimbursed expenses to host the annual NSS
National Convention."
        Yikes! Now, that's inflation for you.
        So, what's the future of the TSA land fund? It depends on you,
the membership.
        An informal survey taken last year to gauge cavers' sentiments
on the fund had a mixed response. Some thought the fund should be
retained as is, or grown more aggressively. Others believed it should be
dissolved and invested for a conservation-related purpose.
        As our venerable TOTR/TCR elder statesman and curmudgeon
at-large, Mr. Ediger, has stated, "It was set up ... as a totally
separate instrument and just handed to us on a platter. `Here, this is a
done deal. Now, who wants to be responsible for it?'"
        "It was created for and offered to the TCR," Gill wrote. "But
the TCR (basically, I) having no bank account (or formal organization,
for that matter) and not wanting one _ ... the banks having made having
an account a difficult and expensive proposition ... the Land Fund was
passed over to the TSA which agreed to maintain it for the TCR."
        One more thought from "the Ediger": "It was definitely
acknowledged that it could someday be worth many thousands of dollars
and that because of that it was not a trivial matter, but that at the
same time it was an actual and existing fund and real money that we
needed to be responsible for."
        That's how we've endeavored to operate: as good stewards. During
the fund's history, the trustees "laddered" investments in certificates
of deposit to earn higher interest.
        Yet, Texas Cavers have demonstrated that they're a diverse and
far-flung crowd, spread as they are across 254 counties. We're very
representative of a growing state where urban sprawl is rapidly gobbling
up great chunks of the karst we love. It turns out Texas isn't growing
any new land or caves.
        The land fund is one of our almost-forgotten resources. It's
like the old Pink Floyd song: more than 10 years have got behind us and
some other opportunities in Texas caving country have since come and
gone. Perhaps now is the time to leave a lasting legacy for Texas caving
by investing the fund to help pay off the note on a cave preserve that
cavers are already helping to whittle down.
        You decide.

[The motion]

Recommended and moved by the TSA Endowment Fund's trustees:

That the TSA Board of Governors terminate the land fund and transfer all
its current proceeds for a cave conservation-related purpose under
Section 8 of the trust agreement, as follows:

To help pay off the note on the Punkin-Deep property purchased by the
Texas Cave Management Association.

        Trustees recommend that the TSA BOG publish this motion in the
Texas Caver and take it up at the Texas Cavers Reunion, either choosing
to vote the motion up or down at its fall meeting or submitting it to
the general TSA membership for a binding referendum.

        Land fund trustees voted unanimously to recommend this action -
moved by Ted Lee and seconded by John Brooks - with trustee Jay Jorden
abstaining due to his TCMA board membership.