>From David Locklear
dlocklea...@gmail.com

The flashlight described below was purchased by me tonight at
Fry's Store.

There was a near full moon so I could not find a good spot to properly
test it.

However, there were 3 aspects of this flashlight that caught my eye and
may or may not separate this flashlight from others on the shelf.

The main aspect of this light is its advertised brightness versus the price.
Most of the flashlights seem to cheat on the max light numbers by adding
up the value of several of the LED's in the chip.   I have no idea if this
one
does that.    Supposedly you are getting 2000 lumens for $ 40 plus tax.

The 2nd feature is the advertised beam with, suggesting it is not a spot
light
but a real floodlight - something that almost no LED products excel at.

And the 3rd feature was the dim value being much higher than other lights
at 1000 lumens.

Meaning this light has a very specific purpose.    You would use it at the
low setting
in a big frickin cave passage, and only use the 2000 lumen setting on some
special
occasion.

Promier is not a leading brand and many of their products are sort of on
the low
end scale compared to Coast or Pelican, however, they seem to be better
than the
really cheap stuff.

So here is what I learned.

The flood beam is wide enough for when you really need a flood beam.
There is just a very
faint outer ring of light that only a light critic would notice.    As you
slide the lens forward ( by rotating the
headpiece ), the light pattern begins to slightly concentrate and become
slightly brighter, but in the end the final
patter is a rhombus or diamond, like most of these kind of flashlights.
  Since the mid-rage
pattern is the one you would use most often, I found it to be almost
circular, or sort of a square
with very rounded corners, or more like circle with some 4 flat edges.
Only slightly annoying.

The heavy weight and large size of this flashlight would discourage you
from carrying it in most cases.
However, I would assume that it would come in handy if you were filming in
a large borehole passage.

[  Sidenote:  On a trip to Sumidero del Rio Chonta, around 1993, some
Austin cavers filmed the trip
with a giant train engine headlight.    I doubt I am in that video, and I
have never seen it.    I was way
downstream of the filming.   ]

Now there are dozens of brighter flashlights on the market ( but few on the
shelf ), and you can
probably find slightly better quality.     But not for $ $ 40 plus tax.

The switch feels rugged.    The battery pack looks well-engineered.     The
light could probably be
made more water-resistant, by putting sealant on the threads, and blocking
the focusing mechanism
with sealant.   The lens cover looks like a solid chunk of rounded glass (
for dispersing the beam into
a flood pattern ).

The three sharp tactical edges can be covered with tape, or maybe sawed
off.   They are not too
sharp and might could even be grinded smoother with a hand-file.

As is, I would not call this flashlight water resistant.   So you would
want to carry it in some kind of protective
cover ( a DUREX Magnum RipnRoll ??? ).

Model No.  P2000FL-8/16

www.promierproducts.com

Promier has a nearly identical model that is $ 6 cheaper and slightly
smaller, and probably more
practical for a large cave.   Fry's has carried that flashlight for over a
year.

I hope I don't have to take this back to the store.    I plan to use it
when I am driving my Sequoia
in dark areas looking for a camp-spot, or things along the side of the
road, or for blinding a
car-jacker, etc.