The gate to the ranch is about here and was the only gate in the area
around 1995.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JhahJ7GmyLhWBCVW8

Gate was constructed of pipe and painted bright yellow, with a protected
single heavy-duty key lock.

There is a ranch house about 1/4 mile southwest beyond the gate.

Only one spot required serious four-wheeling across an arroyo
before the house.  Bring lumber, 2×6.

The rest is flat with sharp rocks and tall sharp plants. So there, you just
need good ground-clearance and really tough tires

Ranch hands lived in Candela 4 blocks south of Municipal building.

Locals called it "La Mina de Something. ??"

Owner's adult daughter lived on Nebraska St .  in Laredo, Texas about ten
years ago.

See Eustorgio Garcia ( R.I.P. )

Using rebelays, the pit could be rigged as 3 easy drops  ( 2 ledges, one of
which is large enough to get off rope in an emergency ( I tested it ).

Leads are around but up high, but I think those passages may be mined
tunnels.

There could potentially be more passage beneath 20 tons of guano.

I would recommend doing all the popular caves in the region there and just
skipping Illusive Pit.

I ridge-walked the lower elevations of the west face of the mountain
several times while searching for it and while hoping to find other caves.
If there are other caves, they would probably be higher above Illusive Pit.

Most likely there are more caves, on that mountain.  I do not know if the
east face gets more rain.

I did not re-find it by myself.  The ranch-hands knew of it, but did not
know where it was exactly.   They were one ravine off, as I recall and
about 100 meters off elevation.

I gave them a 12-pack of American beer, which did not please their wives.
I think I made up for that on the second trip.

I recall Terry Raines saying he verified the ledges interrupted the free
drop.

My opinion is that you would have to install bolts if you did not bring a
600 foot rope.  We tied 3 ropes together and crossed knots which
unfortunately were not placed at the ledges.    ( The first time we did it )

D. L.