From: Texascavers [mailto:texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com] On Behalf Of
Dwight Deal
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 6:49 PM
To: Cave NM; Cave Texas
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] here's a fun use of the underground

-----------snip-----------

At Gnome and the WIPP the cavity is a half-mile down.  Now, I ask, how much
does a half-mile of rock weigh?  The right answer is "a whole lot"!   Under
those confining pressures (the weight of the overlying rock) the salt IS
plastic, and readily deforms.  If you excavate an opening at atmospheric
pressure, the salt immediately starts to flow into it, like thick, slow
toothpaste from a squeeze tube.