THE MYSTICAL MOON LAKE-FORWARD 

Yes, it was the night of full moon; when I decided to be bythe side of the 
mythical moon lake, Chandratal in Lahaul, in Jammu and Kashmir. 

Getting there: Overnight bus to Manali fromDelhi and then a 5 hour jeep drive 
till the lake through Rohtang Pass. Tentedaccommodation only; that has to be 
self-arranged. 

Yes, it was the night of full moon; when I decided to be bythe side of the 
mythical moon lake, Chandratal in Lahaul, in Jammu and Kashmir.This is known to 
be theabode of the Moon god. Here, the perfect face of the moon finds its 
spotless reflection in theclear waters of the lake, while the moonlight weaves 
its magic aroundthe mystical surroundings of almost purple hills. 

Situated at about 14,000 ft above sea level, 9 km from theKunzum Pass, the lake 
lies in a broad grassy plain that in ancient times was aglacier. 
Itscircumambulation, 2½ km long, is considered holy. 

Mythology 

There is a story of a mermaid living in the lake, with whoma shepherd from 
Hansa village of the Spiti valley once fell in love and spenttime with her, 
under water of course! 

As I travelled towards Manali, the moon followed meteasingly, zipping behind 
electrical wires, trees and the traffic. At midnight,as the city streets were 
left behind and the mountain lining made its regalappearance, fresh air teased 
my nostrils and I began to hear my own breath asclearly as a whistle of the 
hill bird. 

Fear mounted at Manaliwhen some fellows warned that the road ahead was tough 
and unsafe in thisweather. But findingmy way through doubt and wriggling myself 
out through trust, I resumed myjourney towards Rohtang. I had to keep my date 
with the lake on the full moon,and catch that bashful moment when beauty 
admires itself! The whole of the daysaw me going up and down circular climbs on 
rough roads. Mundane daylightactivities cleverly threw a veil on the mystery of 
the night. Cows munchedfodder, village folk hung around doing nothing, taps 
leaked and dhaba kitchensburnt busily. Magic slept. I waited. 

AS MYTHOLOGY GOES, THE SUN AND THE MOON WERE ORIGINALLYEQUALLY BRIGHT. Butthe 
gods did not think this was a good idea, so they took a hare and threw it at 
the face of the moon.The hare struck the moon and made a dark blotch that 
dimmed the Moon’sbrightness. But it sure could not take away its mystery! 

Journey

As I undauntedly continued my journey on almost brokenhilly roads, the day 
finally exhausted and prepared its return to the arms ofthe eve. Excitement 
build up. As I saw the last dazzling ray of the dying sunkiss adieu to the 
peaks, the night reappeared, and with it the enigma. The moon made its 
spectacularappearance in the skies. It disappeared and reappeared with 
eachswirl of the road. It felt something like losing and regaining faith again 
andagain and again… I have heard of faith moving mountains, but today I felt 
themountains moving me to faith! 

The night grew thicker, and the way darker and harder.Crossing Batal, a small 
hut of a guesthouse on the way, as I started the last 4km trek towards my 
destination, the chill of the region touched my spine and Iknew the place to be 
inhabited by other beings. The big and small rocksscattered along the way 
looked possessed. Clouds flung their large shadows ontothe peaks. This sure was 
a terrain where both life and death became one; rathera place where care for 
both drops! Bereft of all signs of visible life yetpregnant with a Presence, a 
place for penance or rather an adventure ofconsciousness, it seemed. 

 

At the last curl ofthe broken raw road, on the other side of the great 
mountain, the lakeappeared, sitting quietly, as if completely innocent of its 
spectacular beauty. As I prepared to camp by itsside, I could sense the moon 
prepare to emerge from its hiding from the otherside. When it finally slidfrom 
beneath the clouds, it was midnight. It gleamed teasingly, fully aware as to 
how long it had made me wait! Asit slid in and out of the clouds, hiding and 
revealing itself, we hadnightlong conversations. 

 

As I rose from mycamp in the morning light the beauty sprinkled around me 
brought moistness to my eye. Isaw blue larks glide about freely in the skies, 
not caring where they reach.Cranes and ducks frolicked around in the lake and 
the waters clearly revealedthe stones sitting underneath that perhaps desired 
privacy! 

The return journeystarted sooner than I thought as the temperatures dipped more 
than expected.The river never stopsflowing, and the mountain never moved and 
the sunlight continued to makepatterns on anything it fell, nothing changed. 
Yet the landscape, the leavesand the hills looked different on the return 
journey. They looked satiated, contentand rinsed; as though they had received 
the same nourishment I had received! 

Forward-Spiritual Travel - The mystical moon lake

by Rachna Singh Chopra Posted from my savings in thecomputer on 12-5-2021 R. 
Gopala Krishnan.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1436089949.598963.1618195346429%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to