CULTURALQA 03-2024-20 Allthe below QA are from QUORA DIGEST tome on 20-03-2024.
SelectedQuora answers by scholars generally interesting are included. Still they need not be 100%correct answers. Goodjokes are also included. Iam only a compiler. Compiled and postedby R Gopalakrishnan, 80, on 20-3-2024 Q1 Do you owemoney to friends or family? A1 AnilRoongta, Former Member at Consumer Court 14h My father used to narrate one incident. In mid 1960s,my aunt (father’s younger sister) was getting married. My father had arrangedeverything and he was bearing all the expenses. He had joined civil servicesfive years back and he hadn’t that much of savings with him. He managedsomehow. The marriage took place in our village. On theevening of the wedding ceremony, groom’s father told my father that he wanted acash dowry of 5100/-. My father was in a fix. He didn’t have that kind ofmoney. He approached one of his uncles who was a rich person and asked him tolend him the money. That uncle immediately arranged the money and the weddingceremony took place. A few months later, that uncle’s wife (my father’saunt) in a gathering boasted “If my husband hadn’t given money to so and so,his sister’s marriage hadn’t happened).” This remark was in very bad taste andnobody liked it. My father said that after that day he vowed tohimself that he wouldn’t borrow from anyone in his life and he did that. Helived within his means and never ever took any kind of loan from anyone. And he inculcated that habit in his children. I havealso followed it. I don’t owe any kind of money to anyone. My note- Even after children birth, I had to take loans from friends and staffmembers, having no more gold to pledge and promptly returned. I have availedall possible loans from department, banks and promptly repaid. I had to pledgegold and take loans even to send my son abroad. I could settle only after heremitted his savings from salary for two months. Then onwards no loans till my Home was built in Chennai. Againloans and all cleared only about 2 yearsback. For a middle class central Government employee, wheresalary was not sufficient to meet both ends meet, loans are inevitable. Q2 What are someof the greatest examples of presence of mind? A2 PrachiSinha, MBA from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi Updated 4y One day some of my dad's friends came to our house(uninvited). My dad welcomed them and spontaneously asked me to serve something for them to eat(forgetting that kitchen has always been a very rarely visited place for me). I looked for biscuit, namkeen but couldn't findanything. I have a younger sister and (as per our mom) both of us never leaveanything for the guests. We are scolded by mom innumerable times for this butwe just can't control ourselves from hogging the cookies until the damn packetis over. So as usual, there was nothing at home.I lookedaround searchingly and found this: I mixed chilled water and Eno. I let the fizz go and servedthem in glasses. I went to the living room with self prepared drinks for them.My dad and his friends were discussing something deeply, completely engrossedin the conversations. I served them.They took a sip. And…..Then they took another sip and continued thediscussion. I can't tell how happy and proud I was about myself!;) My note- “ Eno isIndia's No. 1 Antacid Brand. Eno Regular Antacid Sachet is used for the symptomatic relief of acidity, heartburn,acid indigestion, sour stomach and an upset stomach. Eno Regular Antacidprovides fast relief from acidity & gets to work in 6 secs by neutralisingexcess stomach acid” Google search result. Q3 How can Asianpeople eat rice three times a day? A3 Ben A.Wise,I've spent almost a decade living in India Updated 6y Before I came to India, this is what I saw in my mindwhen I thought about rice: That’s right. Good ‘ole semi-sticky white grains indesperate need of gravy. Fascinating stuff, right? After I lived in Tamil Nadu, India, my rice-relatedvocabulary… expanded. Reader, meet Idli and Dosai. Idli and Dosai, meetReader. Good. Now that you’re all acquainted, let me tell you what you’ve beenmissing. These are made from a batter of fermented rice andlentils that is either steamed or fried. They are gloriously good. Tongue-gasmically good.They are hold-on-a-second-while-I-look-at-flight-tickets-to-Chennai good. They are accompanied by a chutney, usually made fromeither tomato or coconut, as well as a lentil-and-vegetable stew called sambar. All three accompaniments singe your tongue with theaddictive goodness of chili and curry leaves and smoky mustard seeds andfenugreek. They explode their tangy-salty-pungent flavors in your mouth untilyou beg for more. Also, dear Reader, please meet Tomato Rice, CurdRice, and Lemon Rice. Yup, shake hands again. Good. Remember that first image of white rice? Well, Mr.Bland Grain has just undergone a badass metamorphosis into the Holy Trinity ofGoodness. The sourness of lime-laced lemon rice, the coolcreaminess of curd rice, that tangy-spicy-saltiness of tomato rice… *Must not book ticket to Chennai. Must not bookticket to Chennai. Must stay at home with family and work* Ah.What was the question about? Ah yes, how can Asians eat rice three times a day.Ithink we’ve pretty much covered that… Q4 What are somedark lessons that life showed you? A3 ChauhanBabu nath,Mar 6 Your close friends might end up betraying you. Overthinkingcan harm your happiness, take care of your mental well-being. Don't get too attached to everyone, some don'tdeserve it. You have to save yourself, don't rely on others torescue you. Believe in yourself, don't always listen to others'opinions. Be financially independent and work hard for what youneed. Your so-called family may actually wish for yourfailure. Storms in life are temporary, the sun always shinesagain. Be assertive and stand up for yourself, know yourrights. Find joy in the little things and do what makes youhappy. Q5 What is thebest joke about engineers that very few people have heard? A5 RachitPandey,Entrepreneur, Mentor and a larger than life guy :)1y A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost.She reduced altitude and spotted a man below. She descended abit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet himan hour ago but I don't know where I am." The man belowreplied "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground.You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degreeswest longitude." "You must be an engineer," said the balloonist. "I am", replied the man."How did you know?" "Well, answered the balloonist, "everythingyou told me is technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of yourinformation, and the fact is I'mstill lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything,you've delayed my trip even more." The man below responded, "You must be inmanagement." "I am," replied the balloonist, "buthow did you know?" "Well," said the man, "You don't know where you are or whereyou're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity ofhot air. You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you tosolve your problems?!!" -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Thatha_Patty" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/872375247.4090938.1710899593328%40mail.yahoo.com.
