After getting no output in ubuntu I decided to try Debian. So squeeze
ran fine, nice bat icons and everything in the menu. But it was version
5.3.3 so bit the bullet and changed to wheezy. Excellent, 5.3.7 xtherion
works fine. (Well as far as I can tell) But loch just does nothing,
whether from the or opening a file.
Trying the command line I get this

The program 'loch' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
   (Details: serial 2540 error_code 8 request_code 73 minor_code 0)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

Back to where I started, at least I have Aven this time, although it is
not really that useable, as it flickers loads

Not found any other graphics that do not work, but then I only changed
over a few hours ago

Andrew