A couple of very interesting ideas here. I tried them out this morning on a small test cave. I will have to think about this for a bit to see how it might be useful.

My small test cave has a total of about 80 feet of passage. There are three scraps which come from background sketch on two different sheets of paper. The same sheets also include profile and cross-section sketches.

The first thing I did was Tarquin's method of creating a single .th2 file. Creating the file was easy - just adding another export line to the thconfig file. It produced a valid .th2 file which has all objects from all scraps. The joins were already performed.

There was no background image, so adding anything to this would be a matter of eyeballing it. I don't think there is any way to add a background image that would make sense.

The second thing I did was review Marco Corvi's documentation at the URL Tarquin provided. The new thing I learned is that backgrounds can be assigned to scraps as well as the drawing area. With my test cave I added background to the three scraps, added the appropriate export line to thconfig and then compiled.

In the map editor I then started a new .th2 file. I imported the .xvi as the drawing area background. It came in. I can see where all three sketches were apparently overlaid. There is a nice centerline for the entire cave.

The problem is the sketches are not transparent enough to use. The only part of the sketch that has any visible drawing on it is for the last scrap mentioned in the map statement of the .th file. The other drawings are not visible.

The result file can be seen at

https://campercaver.net/MiscFiles/test.xvi

Bill Gee