Wow, thanks Tarquin! And Ollie, too. I tried a few things, but the spike still exists in the .lox file.

I changed the connecting shots from 3 to BU1 and BU2 from splay to duplicate. After recompiling, the spike is still there.

Next I change the shot from BU1 to BU2 so that it has no LRUD data. Recompile, and the spike is still there. Hmmm.... I think I need to change most of the splay shots to duplicate, but that seems to not be the reason for this anomaly.

I double-verified the LRUD data for stations BU3, BU4 and BU5. The passage makes a sharp turn at BU4, and a bad left measurement would go about the same direction as the spike. The LRUD data for those stations is all correct.

One thing that strikes me is that the spike is not horizontal. It angles upward by about 20 degrees. If it were the result of bad LRUD interpretation, I would expect it to be horizontal.

I included the data line in my extract. It is indeed the same line as you deduced by looking at the data. Therion does produce warnings about "forwards and backwards bearing readings do not match". There are about 20 of these in the therion.log file. I have checked every one against the original notes. It really is off. Most are under ten degrees. The worst is 17 degrees off.

Most of this cave was surveyed with DistoX2 devices. The compass and inclination readings go to two decimal places (0.01 degree). I do not believe for a New York minute that the DistoX2 is really that accurate. I suspect it is no better than a Suunto. The readings in the book are rounded to the nearest tenth, and I count on Therion averaging the two shots to get a somewhat better consensus.

In this cave, especially around the tour trail, compass readings are difficult because there is so much metal. Hand rails, electric lighting fixtures, rebar in the concrete, support pillars and framing for the overlook platform ... It is a magnetic mess! We did the best we could, but there is just a lot of noise in the data.

Some time ago I asked about reverse tape readings. That is a fairly new feature in Therion. For this cave we did not record any reverse distance data. The distances are in Imperial measurements to the nearest 0.1 foot. The DistoX2 displays to the nearest 0.01 foot and we round that to 0.1 before writing it down.

I found a photo of the area we are looking at.

https://campercaver.net/MiscFiles/P1100940-Small.jpg

This shows the stairs leading up to the overlook. Station 3 is just out of sight on the left of the photo. BU1 and BU2 are out of the photo at upper right. The BU side passage is reached by getting onto the rock ledge on the right, then coming toward the camera. The passage goes off to the right of this photo. There is an electric light fixture just about dead center in the photo. If you levitate about 8 feet up from that fixture and look right, that is the passage entrance.

Bill Gee