> One thing that strikes me is that the spike is not horizontal.  It angles
> upward by about 20 degrees.
Hi Bill
If it helps (unlikely), I have had a project where the Loch model has (had)
just such a spike, one hundred or so metres long, angling about 20 deg upwards.
 For more than 10 years the model had this spike, and from time to time I tried
to troubleshoot it without luck.  I have had other similar cases as well. I
looked up some outputs compiled January this year - it seems this spike is no
longer present.  So there must have been a change in the algorithm in recent
years to resolve this.  There has been no survey or drawing activity in that
part of the cave or model since about 2008-2010, but I concede that edits more
than 100 m away (from the spike) in the model could possibly have had some
effect.
I notice that other Loch rendering artifacts seem to have been resolved also.

Are you using a recent version of Therion?
I'm using 6.1.8, but unsure what it would have been in January.

Bruce