Hi there!

Unfortunately, due to the way wtherion is designed, it's never
guaranteed that you can export the exact same .th2 file that you
imported. The information of which object was where in the original
text file, or what each line in the file looked like is not retained.
But this does not mean the entire .th2 file will be different each
time you change something. When exporting, wtherion always uses the
same format for the output, which you could say is its canonical
format. If you have a repository where all .th2 files are already in
canonical format, importing to wtherion, making a single change, and
exporting *will* produce only one line of difference. This is probably
still not ideal for people who have existing repositories, but this
can't really be changed due to wtherion's overall design.

Text-based files and small changes are not required for version
control systems to work, but they do make it easier to read the
history of changes. Git for example has Git attributes to work around
this problem for binary files.

It might interest you to learn that new versions of wtherion support
saving projects to the filesystem, if you're using a browser that
allows it (Chrome, Edge for example). With this, you can check in
wtherion projects alongside (or instead of) .th2 files to version
control. It still won't be as human-readable as .th2, it's just a JSON
string.
Also, individual settings for segments (line points in XTherion) are
available now.

If we were talking about an editor that completely hides Therion's
complexities, I don't think the users of that would even use external
version control, the versioning would be built into the application,
like in Microsoft Office. Obviously, wtherion is not a project to do
something this advanced, but maybe in the future there will be one.

Thanks for the feedback,
Csongor