Alex Wenzel wrote:
> Mike Massonnet wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 05:26:59PM +0100, Alex Wenzel wrote:
>>
>>> So is there a way to make it refresh regularly (in the sense of
>>> set-up-and-forget-about-it)?
>>> And could someone give me instructions for that?
>>>

>> No.  But you can compile it with the support of a File System Monitor
>> like gamin (this one is preferred) or FAM.  It will automatically update
>> the content when modifications occur in the directory.
>>

> It makes me look like an idiot, but the only thing I compiled to date
> was a shopping list (I'm still a Linux newbie and certainly no
> programmer). Could I get an explanation in baby steps? Please.
> And after the kernel is compiled, how would one proceed?
>
> (Yes, I did visit the gamin home page. But it didn't increase my
> knowledge very much.)

Thunar is already compiled with gamin on Xubuntu (which you said you
were using), so don't bother to compile it (let alone the kernel) by
yourself. If the desktop does not refresh automatically, it must be a
bug. Could you explain a bit more in depth which actions cause the problem?

Dragging/Deleting icons on the desktop works just as expected on my own
Xubuntu 6.10 system.

luzi