it's nice how tiddlywiki provides several measures of hackability, but
when it comes down to it styling it is very difficult. it's hard to
measure what is the best way to achieve a look if you didn't write the
markup itself or all the default styles. I find tiddlywiki's default
look convoluted and distracting (I'm spatially-oriented and dogmatic
about aesthetics). I conceptualize a wiki where design disappears,
rather than drawing attention to itself. (BTW hacked-up special
effects like gradients and text-shadow do not make it any more usable,
and barely more attractive. adding complexity to markup for achieving
a style effect is a bad idea. CSS3 provides a text-shadow property AND
gradients.)

I've been trying to design it from the inside-out to be more usable
and its a nightmare. if I but more than dabbled in javascript perhaps
I would achieve a better understanding of tiddlywiki's guts and it
wouldn't be quite such an undertaking. all I know is I spend more time
considering how to make tiddlywiki more usable then I do using
tiddlywiki.

I'm trying to catch up. the use of jQuery in recent versions is
exciting, and the idea of modularization of functions.

Its important for people to construct their own tools.  will I one day
be able to rapidly construct a tiddlywiki using a pre-existing,
modularized library of rich javascript functions? is tiddlywiki
backporting some of its features to jQuery itself, rewriting some of
its original features using jQuery, or both?
(sorry to get off-topic)