> it's nice how tiddlywiki provides several measures of hackability, but
> when it comes down to it styling it is very difficult

We're aware of these issues. Unfortunately, significant changes are
often constrained by backwards-compatibility concerns, as a large number
of themes, plugins and individual customizations rely on the current DOM
structure and styling.

> I've been trying to design it from the inside-out to be more usable

We'd love to hear any suggestions you might have.

> will I one day be able to rapidly construct a tiddlywiki using a
> pre-existing, modularized library of rich javascript functions? is
> tiddlywiki backporting some of its features to jQuery itself, rewriting
> some of its original features using jQuery, or both?

We're definitely aiming to both take advantage of jQuery where sensible
and extracting functionality into generic jQuery plugins:
     http://jquery.tiddlywiki.org
Any contributions in that area would be most welcome (best discussed on
the developers' list).

-- F.