I'm the guy with 60,000 plus tiddlers. That turned out to be an issue with
tag optimization. I changed my
filters to not use the tag operator, and now my TW app works reasonably
well even on a Kindle Fire.

You might do a search on javascript abilities. A quick search suggested
that javascript arrays could hold 4 billion entries. You will be out of
browser memory long before that happens.

I think it's hard to document the exact range of abilities of TW because
there are so many platforms, hardware, OS, browser differences.

To me the impressive thing is that we have someone in the forum who
actually runs a store on TW !

Hardware memory seems to be a major consideration. A file may be only 10
megs, but the javascript it runs
appears to need to spread out and take several times that amount of space.
Or at least that's what I've
observed.

If I was seriously considering creating a mammoth app in TW, I think I
would start by figuring out the basic
relationships I would want between tiddlers (fields, tags). Create a few
sets of tiddlers. Then run some process
to clone thousands of test tiddlers. Then you would have a feel for how
things were going to work. At this
point, avoid using the tag operator in filters were there will be huge
numbers of tiddlers tagged with that tag.

But 5.1.19 isn't the TW version to be using. Optimizations were made in
5.1.20 that allow for larger TW files. So
it's probably worth upgrading, unless there is something specific about
5.1.19 that you need.

Good luck!