Donald,

 Yes, I am using Node.js on Windows machine.
  Tiddlywiki correctly scans the picture folder and create the image
tiddlers with correct name (The same file name as in pictures folder). Also
when I relocate pictures folder, on wiki startup I get the error
complaining Tiddlywiki can not find the picture folder.

I see the broken image when I open an image tiddler. I did what you advised

This is address of image:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/pictures/IMG_20160405_122242.jpg

Like you I think something wrong with _canonical_uri! But I don not know
what is that?