To add a little more to what I wrote above and address this specifically -
the files are not imported.  A reference to their location is created when
the server starts.  If you look in the directory that the tiddlywiki.files
file is in there are no other files there.  At least this is what I
remember from when I was playing with this before.  The only time
tiddlywiki creates an actual file with this method is if you manually add a
field or tag that is not referenced by the tiddlywiki.file parameters.
Then tiddlywiki has to create a meta file to contain that tag or field.

The only way to actually import files is through the methods on the importing
tiddlers <https://tiddlywiki.com/#Importing%20Tiddlers> page or using the
servers import or load command - which is what started me down this rabbit
hole in the first place.