I think that Jeremy's description is fair. I have seen many people decide
they are not going to contribute a plugin because they think that they
don't fit the quality standards required, I don't remember ever seeing a
plugin rejected because of that.

The plugin library has been open for a long time, and it is possible to
create plugin libraries that are accessible in the same way as the official
library. I haven't looked into it but I think you could probably host a
plugin library on github/GitLab Pages so the hosting requirement may not be
much of an obstacle. Adding a custom plugin library to the normal Get More
Plugins interface just requires importing a single tiddler.

And if someone wants to publish a plugin to the official library and isn't
sure if the quality meets whatever community standards exist they are
welcome to ask for assistance.

I agree that the procedures for getting plugins in the library aren't
clear, but that is mainly because so few people have tried it is always
kind of ad-hoc and there aren't really set procedures to do it.
If you want things to be clearer than we need someone to make them that
way, a lot of the work done on things like this hasn't gone anywhere
because no one uses it.

For a long time I was maintaining a listing of available plugins on the
wiki reference wiki as a sort of plugin store, but it was barely used so I
stopped. Setting up a system for adding plugins could be a significant time
investment and from experience if it is just one of the more experienced
devs doing it no one is going to use it.
If you need evidence of that look at how many requests are made here for
things that already exist in Bob or in the secure server that I made.
I think I have had 3 people ask about setting up the secure server, only
one followed up with anything and that was just one time.