The dynaview, as I understand it, prevents portion of the page to which you
have not yet scrolled from rendering. This appeared to work, as you could
tell because when you paged down there would be a pause before the page
became visible. But it didn't seem to help performance. The dynaview
version is still online, btw.

For that matter, I found the epub sample to be fairly slow, and it's only
an excerpt from the book. It would have been interesting to see what the
entire book was like, but I was unwilling to sign up for an account to
purchase a public domain book that I've already read.

As an actual user of ebooks, I'm not sure the epub fulfils users needs. The
epub is impressive, but probably not worth the overhead. I regularly read a
huge book on TW without difficulty.  What the world really needs is a
format with some sort of block-chain registry built in so that you can
share and exchange commercial ebooks just like you can real books. In any
event, people don't avoid reading because they need better formatting,
people avoid reading because they're doing other things. And reading isn't
even cheaper. A subscription to netflix will costs you less than a
subscription to Kindle unlimited! You can binge watch the entire HP series
in a single day, and save weeks of reading! \s

Thanks!