I imagine the performance hit comes from the way that hiding fold levels
occurs. The method I used to structure the document was meant to be highly
portable. So you can port all the tiddlers and the tag tiddler to any
tiddler, and view them correctly using the <<toc>> macro and nothing else.
And any time you want to change the order of tiddlers, you can do so using
the tag pill. But, perhaps, I focused too narrowly on an unimportant goal
;-)

Possibly if there was a mode where fold-levels were turned off performance
would improve. People could turn off folding in order to performance
intensive activities and then turn it back on later for viewing.

Thanks!