I concur with Mark. I'm currently using Refnotes as well, in addition to
Saq's Streams plugin.

Here's my workflow with it:

   1. I've created a text expander flow that auto-populates the syntax for
   a footnote, so that I can just use a / command to call it up.
   2. I create a source tiddler for the book, and using the Streams plugin,
   you can very quickly take notes on a book. Each new node is actually a
   tiddler, so it creates atomic notes that are all just connected to the
   source tiddler for the book. Each one can then be linked to other topics of
   notes, of course, and they can be transcluded or copied into another
   tiddler for composition later.
   3. With each note created this way, I use my text expander to quickly
   call up the macro for a footnote and simply add bib info at the end of each
   note. That means every, single note now has the bib reference in it.
   4. Added bonus: The Refnotes plugin also allows you to easily create a
   bibliography at the bottom of a tiddler based off all the footnotes in the
   tiddler. And if I pull in notes from multiple books to a new article
   tiddler by transclusion, it dynamically updates the numbering in the new
   tiddler and adds them to that bottom bibliography section for that note.
   This is especially nice if I'm writing an article inside TiddlyWiki.

Happy to explain more if it would help.