Interesting implementation, thanks for sharing.

It's a bit like an action-setfield widget that doesn't need a trigger.

I've only had the most cursory look, but you could allow an optional widget
parameter that determines the storage tiddler, allowing restricting scope
where desired.
Perhaps also consider using a $:/temp.. or $:/state... prefixed tiddler for
the storage.

Cheers,
Saq