Hi all.
If I may, I'd like to chime in. I'm a new Tiddlywiki user and I've also
been a Roam user for several months. Both are wonderful products. I think -
at least for right now - there is space for both tools in the knowledge
management ecosystem. I think it would be helpful if I provide my personal
experience using Roam & Tiddlywiki, in the hopes of shedding light on each
product's strengths and weaknesses and how to potentially think about
forging a path ahead.

Let me start by explaining how I roamed onto Roam. I was doing some
serendipitous Internet searching on neuroscience. I don't remember the
details of what I was searching fo,  but I stumbled on Anne-Laure's blog,
so I must have had used some keywords associated with motivation or
productivity. Through Anne-Laure's writing, I discovered Roam (I also
discovered TiddlyWiki through Anne-Laure's article(s)). I was intrigued. I
fell down the rabbit hole of seemingly endless Roam tutorials and content.
It was overwhelming, but super exciting because Roam exposed me to new
ideas that I had not heard of before. I know some folks have made the claim
that these ideas are not new - I agree; but, they were new to me. Roam's
content was my gateway to these ideas. Switching gears to my experience
using Roam, in short, it's pretty clunky. It's not a beautiful and seamless
user experience like Notion or Evernote. In fact, there's not even a mobile
app. It requires some coding knowledge to understand how to use it. Again,
it's clunky. I'm not happy about paying the subscription fee, but I'm
biting the bullet because the community brings me value. I've learned a
lot.

Enter Tiddlywiki. I was pumped when I discovered it through Anne-Laure
because it seemed like I could use it to create a digital garden that
resembles Andy Matuschak's Notes
<https://notes.andymatuschak.org/About_these_notes>. Transcluding pop-ups
is super cool, and Roam doesn't have that feature. I found it quite simple
to implement in Tidlywiki once I got the hang of things. For me,
personally, the learning curve to use Tiddlywiki was much higher than Roam.
For example, I didn't need to learn how to host a website with Roam so I
could save my work. As far as using Tiddlywiki, an empty Tiddler looks like
just like a blog post. Tiddlywiki seems like a really nifty way to host
your own blog.  With a vibrant open-source community, a person could figure
out how to modify the styling and turn it into a really cool personal
homepage. You can't do the same with Roam. I'm not going to share my Roam
database with the public. It would be like sharing my Google Drive
journals. Valuable content, but it lacks the look & feel of a blog.

I hope to have expressed that I think Tiddlywiki & Roam have their own
unique space in the knowledge management ecosystem.  One key point is that
Roam, unlike Tiddlywiki, is a for-profit company that has already found
monetization. They also now have investors to appease. Who knows what
direction this may take them in. Roam's future is far from certain. Some
questions that come to mind are, 1) will they be able to continue
attracting new users? maybe, but they probably need to make Roam more user
friendly; 2) will they continue to engage their current users? maybe, but
they'll need to push out exciting new features to justify the subscription
cost. Tiddlywiki's strength lies in its open source nature. When I think of
Tiddlywiki, I think of platforms like Roku & Android that enable any dev to
build on them and as a result these platforms have lots of apps and lots of
users. The potential is there for both apps, and there is plenty of
potential market share to go around. Most people don't use Roam or Evernote
or TiddlyWiki, but most people are overwhelmed with information and would
get a lot of benefit from using a knowledge management product that is
useful, innovative, and easy to use. ✌️