Hello, I think this is a pretty basic problem, but I've not been able to
figure out how to do it.

Within tiddlywiki, I have profiles for made-up individuals. I have
birthcountry of each individual recorded as a field. I also have
wikipedia-style sideboxes with individuals date of birth, date of death,
parentage, children....etc and birthcountry as well.

All I want to do is have it so that I can use the birthcountry field to
supply a value that I can use as both text and a link to another tiddler.

For example:
John Smith
Born - 04/05/1872 - Fantasyshire, MadeupLand (with "MadeupLand" value drawn
from the field and also used link to a tiddler with the title "MadeupLand")

Currently, I can retrieve the field value:

<$view field=birthcountry/>

And I can manually link to 'MadeupLand':

<$link to="MadeupLand"></$link>

But putting them together like this:

<$link to=<$view field=birthcountry/></$link>

Does not work, I just get "true</$link>"

Any help would be much appreciated!