@Eric Shulman Great, that works, thanks! Really minor follow-up question.
What do I have to put before [field:father-id{!!id}] to get it to actually
show up on the page as text and a link?

Currently, I can do this: <<list-links [field:id{!!father-id}]>> (which is
the inverse, for finding fathers as opposed to finding sons) but that
produces a list e.g.

   - Robert Smith

I just want it to show

Robert Smith

Because people only have one biological father! I think the <<list-links>>
bit is a 'macro'? I've tried:

<[field:id{!!father}]>
<<[field:id{!!father}]>>
<<$link [field:id{!!father}]>>
<$link to=[field:id{!!father}]>[field:id{!!father}]</$link>

All with no luck.

Slightly more general question, I've found myself a bit baffled by
macros/whatever they are. TiddlyWiki as loads of examples of operators, but
unless you know what you need to put before them, they aren't actually
usable! For example, I know the subtract operator looks like this:

[[23]subtract[19]]

But obviously, just putting that in a tiddler doesn't produce the value
"4", you have to put something before it. I've got no clue what that should
be, and the code actually used in the wiki:

<<.operator-example 1 "[[23]subtract[19]]">>
Does not work.

Sorry to dump loads of questions! I just get the impression that TiddlyWiki
is incredibly powerful and perfect for my use-case, but there is a lot of
basic syntax stuff that I just don't get.