Hi Merry,

This isn't valid XML/HTML/wikitext:

<$link to=<$view field=birthcountry/></$link>

You can never nest widgets within attributes of other widgets like this
(side note: notice that even if this was allowable, you would be missing a
closing > after the /> to finish the opening $link tag). More generally, it
might be worth learning now that in an attribute like to=, you can do
exactly one of four things in TW:

   - to="constant value" [see note 1]
   - to={{field transclusion}}
   - to={{{filtered transclusion}}}
   - to=<<variable transclusion>>

Any combination of these, or any other content, won't work. Here's a summary
of the available transclusion syntax
<https://groktiddlywiki.com/read/#Summary%20of%20Macro%20and%20Transclusion%20Syntax>
.

Fortunately, there's no need to use a $view widget here – you can just
transclude the field with the double-brace syntax:

<$link to={{!!birthcountry}}/>

[1] There are three other ways you can quote the value: """triple
quotes""", 'single quotes', and sometimes no quotes at all (if there aren't
any spaces or special characters in the value).