On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 4:01:54 PM UTC+2 David Gifford wrote:

This made me wonder, why couldn't there be something similar: do a search
> from the default searchbar, and have standard, system and shadow come up as
> tabs?

I think this should be possible. ... The whole search behaviour has grown
organically. I think nobody requested it in a reasonable interesting way.
... I personally did create the advanced-search-plus (ASP) plugin, which
perfectly fits my needs. .. So I don't have the desire to create new stuff
as long as the existing behaviour is "just good enough" ;)

> This seems like it would be much more intuitive for users: search, then
> filter results. As it stands, $:/AdvancedSearch does the opposite: it makes
> you pick a type of search (standard, system, shadow, filter) first, and
> only then can you do the search. The search string you want to enter may or
> may not stay in your short term memory while you are figuring out which
> type of search you want to do. It seems like it would be a better user
> experience to 'dump' the search term first, then figure out which tab you
> want.

That was 1 reason, why I did create ASP plugin.

> On the same subject, Why is there no comparable "recent" tab for system
> tiddlers? It seems like developers would benefit greatly having something
> like that open as they work on macros, styling, buttons, etc.

IMO Nobody requested it. But it seems to make sense.

> I would love to hear your input:
> Do you agree with me?

yes

> Why or why not? If so, should this be core pull request or a plugin?

hmmm, That's a difficult question. ... You are a very advanced user
already. So your desire IMO is very different to novice users.

> What are the reasons $:/AdvancedSearch is set up backwards?

It has been implemented that way and it did make sense. I think nobody
questioned it since now.

> Technical limitations? Workflow-related?

No ... It was developed that way and it worked. ... just good enough ;)

> What are the ways you work around these limitations?

As I wrote: advanced search plus plugin
<https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/advanced-search-plus/>. ... There is a
video on the plugin page. In combination with the "link-to-tabs" plugin it
solves all my dev needs.

have fun!
mario